Monday, August 15, 2011

Topps Lineage fun.

Ok, so some might say that card collecting is a guy's hobby.  I say it is for everyone.  There is a line for every taste.  As a kid, I collected baseball cards with my brother.  We loved when we got Phillies.  The rest we traded with each other as prizes for games of Go Fish.  We flipped them at each other and kept them bound with rubber bands we stole from the morning newspaper or we kept them in shoe boxes.  As we grew up, they went by the way side and got tossed in the garbage.  Thanks, Mom.  LOL  I honestly, didn't even know they were still making them. I hadn't seen them in years.  I hadn't thought of them in years.  Greg saw the special on the MLB network and told me that he wanted to start collecting.  He had me watch the special and I was hooked, too.  We started small and got a few packs here or there.  We decided to get the base sets and focus primarily on Phillies cards.  I decided to take it further and collect Tim Lincecum cards.  We've sampled various products.  We really liked the Gypsy Queen cards.  They are nice to look at and different.  I collected the Opening Day series.  That is simple set and it has fun inserts.  The mascots are what did it for me.  I finally got the Phillie Phanatic ( just look at the top picture of the blog) and was appeased.  We have tried the new Allen and Ginter line and that is a nice set with good inserts.  I had a major hit with a hobby box of Allen and Ginter when I pulled a Stephen Stasburg Topps 60th Anniversary autograph.  Sweet!  Recently, we tried the new Topps Lineage line.

  I really like it.  It's a nice base set with a heavy presence by older players.


  The backs of the base sets do not feature stats but rather a short synopsis on the player.  I think that will appeal more to women, like myself, who really don't get into the stats in a major way.  I like reading a little write-up about the players.  The inserts are cute.  They look like the cards of my childhood, with bright colors.


  I have not gotten a lot of them, yet, but hope to get at least a blaster box for myself.  The collecting that Greg and I have done so far has brought us closer and has gotten our daughters interested in the cards.  Rory has her own set of Brewers cards and Hailey has her own collection of Shane Victorino and Brian Wilson.  Will anything come of this hobby?  Who knows, but our family is having fun with it.
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment